Why should I use flashes? Current cameras offer an outstanding image quality even at high ISO and this means I can use LED and FL lamps.
- Because of the short flash durations (and fast recycling times) of modern compact flashes and flash generators it is possible to “freeze” motion.
- Flashes are very effective. Especially when shooting outdoors i.e. in direct sunlight the light output of typical continuous light sources is way too low.
- Short flash durations prevent blurred pictures caused by camera shake/vibrations and allow to gain max. resolution of the best cameras.
- In difference to typical continuous light sources it is possible to control the light output of professional flashes over a wide range and to adjust their power to your ideas and the existing light on the set.
- In difference to typical continuous light sources professional flashes don’t change color temperature at different power levels.
- Flash light provides very good color rendering (CRI 95). Many modern LED and FL lamps cause a mediocre color fidelity (CRI 90 or less).
- In combination with high res DSLR’s the short flash durations of professional flashes ensure to achieve the max. resolution of those cameras – factors like camera shake and vibration (mirror/shutter) have no influence on the image quality.
- Professional flash systems offer a wide assortment of light shaping tools and therefore more creative possibilities.
- When using flashes it is possible to control flash and continuous light independently: Adjusting exposure time mainly changes the intensity of the continuous light (e.g. daylight).